Site Search & Directory »
McGoughs, McGeoughs, and McGeoghs in the Civil Parish of Clontibret
This page collects the McGoughs in the parish of Clontibret, county Monaghan, mostly from the 1800s.
The parish of Clontibret is bounded on the west by the parish of Muckno and county Armagh, on the south by the parish of Donaghmoyne, and on the east (from south to north) by the civil parishes of Aghnamullen (for a short distance), Ballybay, Tullycorbett, Monaghan, and Tehallen. To place Clontibret within county Monaghan, see the map of the civil parishes of county Monaghan. There is a sketch map of Clontibret parish and the surrounding parishes on the website: A Coogan Family of County Monaghan.
Ann McGeough Harney, on her excellent website, has published the Surname Index to the 1796 Flax Seed Premium Entitlement Lists, also known as the Spinning Wheel Lists. This list gives the parish of the named recipients of spinning wheels, but not the townlands. Their names listed for the parish of Clontibret are: Michael M'Geough, Owen M'Geough, and Thomas M'Geough. See also: Irish Flax Grower's List, 1796 International Land Records—Clontibret.
This is a discussion of McGoughs in a small part of the civil parish of Clontibret, contiguous townlands in what I call the Formil-Cornalough rectangle, and the nearby townland of Monagor.
For information on the entire parish, see: The Parish of Clontibret.
Twenty-two townlands that form the southern tip of the civil parish of Clontibret are in the Catholic parish of Muckno. At the southern edge of these townlands, on the boundary between the civil parishes of Clontibret and Donaghmoyne, are three townlands that make up what I call the Formil-Cornalough rectangle. The three townlands, moving from, west to east, are Formil, Cornalough, and Mulaghanee. The name Formil appears on the 1: 50 000 Discoverer series map of Monaghan (sheet 28) 3 kilometers directly south of the town of Castleblayney at Irish grid reference H823 167.
About three kilometers northwest of Formil, just beyond the townland of Tattygare, is the townland of Monagor. Monagor is the northernmost of the twenty-two townlands that are modernly in the civil parish of Clontibret and the Catholic parish of Muckno. In the Hearth Money Rolls, Hugh McGeough is listed for 1665 in the townland of Monagor in the parish of Clontibret.
Hugh McGeough is listed for 1665 in the townland of Monagor in the parish of Clontibret. I assume that this is the same Monagor that is modernly shown on the southeastern edge of the civil parish of Clontibret, and on the western edge of the Catholic parish of Muckno, and which forms an arrowhead pointing into the Catholic parish of Clontibret to the immediate northwest. This house was about 3 kilometers west and 1/2 a kilometer south of the center of the town of Castleblayney, near the confluence of two streams which flow northwest then west into Lough Major near Ballybay. Ballybay is about 8 kilometers west and 1 1/2 kilometers north of what I assume to be the site of the McGeough hearth in 1665—about H799 193 in the Irish Grid Reference system.
The second townland to the west of Formil is Annagleve, the boyhood home of John McGough, Ireland's most famous runner and winner of an Olympic silver medal. John McGough is the only McGough whose name appears in the Dictionary of Ulster Biography:
"McGough, John. 18871967. John McGough was born in County Monaghan and emigrated to Scotland. He was a middle distance athlete and won a silver medal for Great Britain in the 1500 metres race."
See Odds and Ends, under "McGoughs in History," where a quotation from Peadar Livingstone's The Monaghan Story spells the name McGeough, and says John McGeough, born in Annagleve, emigrated to Scotland at the age of seven, was the mile champion of that country from 1902 to 1907 and again in 1910, and was Monaghan's most famous athlete in the twentieth century.
Formil, Cornalough, and Mullaghanee are adjoining townland on the southern of the civil parish of Clontibret. They lie in the Catholic parish of Muckno.
Below are some additional McGoughs from the Formil-Cornalough area of Clontibret:
Andrew McGeough (331) is listed in Mullaghanee in 1860 by Griffith's Valuation as a sub lessee of a house, with no land, from John Dowdel, who leased 18 acres from Henry T. Hope on what had been the Blayney estate until it was sold to the Hopes in 1853.
[Thomas McGough, born in Ireland in December of 1834, married Catherine Dowdell,who was born in Ireland in May of 1850, according to the IGI. Thomas McGough and Catherine Dowdell are listed by the IGI as parents of Joseph McGough born in 1883 in Slane, Meath, Ireland.]
Hugh McGeough (311) is listed in Cornalough in 1830 by the Tithe Applotment Books.
Hugh McGeough (326) is listed in the townland of Formil in 1830 by the Tithe Applotment Books.
Hugh McGeough (327), possibly a different person than the other Hugh McGeough listed in the same source, is listed in the townland of Formil in 1830 by the Tithe Applotment Books.
Mary McGough (312) is listed in Cornalough in 1860 by Griffith's Valuation as leasing an unoccupied house and 24 acres of land from Henry T. Hope, a successor to the Blayney estate. Notes in a Survey and Valuation in the Blayney estate records, discussed below, indicate that Mary is a widow, and it is probable that she is the widow of Hugh McGeough, who last appears in the Blayney estate rent books in 1842.
Mary McGough (328) is listed in Formil in 1860 by Griffith's Valuation as leasing a house, offices and 31 acres from Henry T. Hope
Patrick McGough and Mary Daly McGough are listed by the IGI as the parents of James McGough born on June 5, 1878, in Cornalough, Monaghan, Ireland. Patrick McGough and Mary Daley are listed by the IGI as parents of Anne McGough born on September 12, 1872, in Ireland.
Two townlands of Formil appear in the rent books of the Blayney estate. The townland of Formil in the civil parish of Clontibret appears in the rent books as Formil West. The second townland of Formil, in which many McGoughs were also tenants, is immediately east of the townland of Oram in the civil parish of Muckno, about 4 1/2 kilometers northeast of Castleblayney. The latter townland is usually referred to as Formil East in the rent books.
The adjoining townlands of Formil, Cornalough and Mullaghanee in the civil parish of Clontibret were part of the Blayney estate. In PRONI are many records of the Blayney Estate, including rent books beginning in 1828 (D/1421 1/161). See The Blayney of Castleblayney Papers at the PRONI website. The table below shows the names of Hugh McGeough and John McGeough in the many forms in which they appear in the rent books from 1828 through 1848. The variations of the names demonstrate that the names McGeough, McGeogh, McGough, and Magough were used interchangeably during these years. The reason why no names appear in the table after 1848 is that I ran out of time while examining these records in PRONI.
|Formil West #13||Formil West #20||Cornalough (including joint references to Formil and Cornalough)||Formil West #14A, 15, 15A|
|1828||Hugh McGeogh||Hugh McGeough|
||Hugh McGeough||John McGeough|
|1836 (arrears)||Hugh Magough||Hugh Magough||Hugh Magough|
|1837||Hugh McGough||Hugh McGough||John McGough|
|1837 (arrears)||Hugh Magough||Hugh Magough||Hugh Magough|
|1840||Hugh McGeough||Hugh Mageough||John Mageough|
|1841||Hugh Mcgough||Hugh Mcgough||John Magough|
|December 1841 (evaluation)||John McGeough||John McGeough|
|1842||John Magough||Hugh McGeough||
|1842 (evaluation)||John McGeough|
Attached to a deed dated March 18, 1854, of an interest in the Blayney estate is a "Schedule to Which the Foregoing Deed Refers." Under the townland of Cornalough is listed the Widow of John McGough holding a little over 25 acres 1 rod 11 perches on a year-to-year tenancy ending in May at an annual rent of £17 10s 10p. Under the townland of Formil is a year-to-year least of over 31 acres to Widow Mary McGough. In Formil East are leases to Thomas McGough and Owen McGough (with John Neile); to Patt McGough, to Terrence McGough; and to Luke Brennan (late T. McGough).
The townlands of Drumgristin, Corlealackagh, Lackagh, and Annyalla lie in central Clontibret, a little to the south of the center line between north and south.
Drumgristin in a townland on the western boundary of the parish of Clontibret, about 5 kilometers north by northeast of the town of Ballybay, and about 9 kilometers west by northwest of the town of Castleblayney. Drumgristin Lough is the headwaters of the Derrycreevy river that flows under the "Big Bridge" and into Lough Muckno just north of Castleblayney.
324 Andrew McGeogh is shown by Griffith's Valuation on 1860 to be renting a house, offices, and 11 acres of land in Drumgristin from the Right at £6.0.0 a year.
325 Andrew McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to be holding land in Drumgristin in 1830.
Adjoining the townland of Drumgristin to the west, just inside the eastern border of the civil parish of Tullycorbet, is the townland of Drumroosk. Anne McGeogh, probably a widow, was renting a house in Drumroosk in 1860. See McGoughs, McGeoughs, and McGeoghs in the Civil Parish of Ballybay.
Lackagh is a townland just short of 3 kilometers east of Drumgristin. The townland of Lackagh is about 7 kilometers northwest of Formil.
Bernard (Barney) McGeough, a poet, was born on December 1, 1864, in Lackagh, Clontibret, to John McGeough and Ellen Carroll, both school teachers. The birth is listed in the IGI as in Castleblayney, Monaghan. The IGI shows two other children born to John McGough and Ellen Carroll, Margaret Jane McGough, born on July 5, 1866; and Esther Mc Gough born in Ireland on April 13, 1873. The first birth was registered at Castleblayney under McGeough, and the second and third under McGough. The Book of Clontibret, by Brendan O'Dufaigh says that Barney died in Castleblayney on June 10, 1939, without ever having been married. The book says Barney had one sister, Teresa, who was born in 1879, and was a seamstress. John McGough and Ellen Carroll are listed by the IGI as the parents of Alice Maria McGough born in Monaghan, Ireland, on May 7, 1870.
Annyalla is 6 1/2 kilometers northwest of the town of Castleblayney. The N2 highway runs directly from Castleblayney to Annyalla.
307 Bryan McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have held property in the townland of Annyalla in 1830.
Coolartragh and Crossmore
Coolartragh [H787286] is a townland on the Armagh border The Coolartragh Mine, otherwise known as the Coolartra, Bond, Bond and Newry, or Coolarten and Bond Mine, was worked and developed for lead intermittently from sometime in the early 1840s, apparently by a William Conn, up to 1892. The townland of Crossmore is almost immediately to the west. The battle of Clontibret in 1595 was fought about a kilometer north by northwest of Crossmore. In 1665, there was a McGough family in Crossmore.
Phelem McGoeugh is listed for 1665 in the townland of Crossmore in the parish of Clontibret. (H768283). This house is about 8 1/2 kilometers (5.3 miles) north and about 6 kilometers (3.7 miles) west of the center of Castleblayney, or about 10 1/2 kilometers (6 1/2 miles) northwest of Castleblayney on N2, a short distance east of the highway. (I assume that McGoeugh is a typographical error in Rushe's book.). See Hearth Money Rolls for County Monaghan: McGeogh, McGeough, and McGogh.
A little over 2 kilometers northwest of Crossmore is the townland of Corlagen North. The Hearth Money Rolls show a Phelime McGough there in 1665.
Phelime McGeough is listed for 1665 in the townland of Corlagan North in the parish of Clontibret. (H738291). This is about 1 kilometer west (.62 miles) of the present intersection of N2 and R 184, which intersection is marked "Clontibret." This house is about 2 kilometers northwest of the house of the Phelim McGoeugh described immediately above, and is about 9 1/2 kilometers (5.9 miles) north and about 7 1/2 kilometers (4.66 miles) west of the center of Castleblayney, or about 12 kilometers (7.45 miles) northwest of Castleblayney on N2, and from there, about 1.2 kilometers (0.75 miles) west of the highway.
The townland of Dromore adjoins the townland of Crossmore to the west. Dromore lies on the western border of the parish of Clontibret.
314 John McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books as sharing 147 (?) acres of land with his brother Peter McGeough in the townland of Dromore in 1830
315 Peter McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books as sharing 147 (?) acres of land with his brother John in the townland of Dromore in 1830.
John and Peter McGeough were brothers. John moved to Jo Daviess County, Illinois, no later than 1846. Peter may have accompanied him, but Peter's family arrived there no earlier than 1847, and no later than 1850. In Illinois, the surname was usually spelled McGough. See John and Peter McGoughTwo Brothers in Jo Daviess County, Illinois.
Phyllis Devereux believes that John and Peter were sons of Bridget McGough of Drumbeo, #320 below.
The townland of Drumbeo is on the eastern boundary of the parish of Clontibret and on the western boundary of county Armagh. (H767 325). It is about 8 kilometers west by southwest of the town of Keady in county Armagh and about 10 kilometers east of the town of Monaghan. Less than 3 kilometers to the west by northwest of Drumbeo is the townland of Alkill in the civil parish of Tehallan where there were several McGoughs in the 1800s. See McGoughs, McGeoughs and McGeoghs in the Baronies of Dartree and Monaghan.
320 Bridget McGeough, who was born about 1790, is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have held one half an acre of land in the townland of Drumbeo in 1830.
321 Bryan McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have held land in Drumbeo in 1830. Phyllis Devereux says that his given name was Bernard, and that he was the son of Bridget McGeough, #321 above, and the older brother of Francis McGeough, #322, below.
322 Francis McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have had land in Drumbeo in 1830. Phyllis Devereux believe he was the younger son of Bridget McGeough, #320 above, and the younger brother of Bryan McGeough, #321 above. She believes that this Francis was born about January 1, 1825, and thus was only 5 years old at the time of the Tithe Applotment survey. Devereux believes that this John McGeough was her great-great grandfather.
Phyllis Devereux says that the widowed Bridget McGeough migrated to Canada in 1833 with her sons Bryan (Bernard) and Francis, and that the sons later moved to Iowa. See Bernard McGough and Catherine Kernaghan of Lindsay, Ontario, and Allamakee County, Iowa. She also believes that John and Peter McGeough of the nearby townland of Dromore were also sons of Bridget McGeough. See John and Peter McGoughTwo Brothers in Jo Daviess County, Illinois.
323 Patrick McGeough, Jr., is shown by Griffith's Valuation of 1860 to rent a house, offices, and six acres of land in Drumbeo from the trustees of Charles A. Leslie.
Patrick McGeough and Mary McArdle McGeough are listed in the IGI as the parents of Peter McGeough born in "Drumboe, Monaghan" on January 25, 1878. [Mary McGough, born in county Monaghan in 1852, a domestic living at 139 East 31st Street, New York City, opened account number 107890 in the New York Emigrant Savings Banks on April 8, 1875. She had arrived in New York City aboard the City of London. Her father was Patrick McGough. Her mother was Mary McArdle. See the 1880 census of New York City, 21st Ward.]
My web page McGough and McGeough Gravestone Inscriptions in County Monaghan shows seven McGeoughs of Drumbeo memorialized by the same stone (#12) in the Clontibret parish cemetery at the townland of Tullybuck:
Bernard McGeough. Died April 14, 1914. Age 81. Husband of Bridget.
Bridget McGeough. Died January 14, 1913. Age 75. Wife of Bernard.
Thomas McGeough. Died January 20, 1887. Age 21. Son of Bernard and Bridget.
Bernard McGeough. Died August 23, 1960. Age 72. Probably a son of Bernard and Bridget McGeough, above.
Mary Anne McGeough. Died August 6, 1976. Age 83.
Henry McGeough. Died November 5, 1990. Age 72. Son of Bernard and Mary Anne.
Francis McGeough. Died July 18, 1994. Son of Bernard and Mary Anne.
Super Index of Irish Wills, 1270–1860, a compilation of Irish will indexes by Gloria Bangerter, lists a will of Patrick McGough in 1778.
Doosky is a townland about half way between the townland of Drumbeo to the north and Crossmore to the south. It lies on the boundary with county Armagh.
313 Arthur McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books as holding land in the townland of Doosky in 1830.
Lisglassan is a townland about two kilometers west of Doosky
329 John McGeough is shown by Griffith's Valuation of 1860 to have rented a house, office, and 15 acres of land from the Right Honorable . Edward Lucas at £10.15.0 per annum.
330 Judith McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have held land in Lisglassan in 1830.
Clerran is a townland 1 1/2 kilometers west of the townland of Drumbeo and 2 kilometers north of the townland of Lisglassan.
309 Thomas McGeough is shown by Griffith's Valuation of 1860 to hold a house, offices, and 4 acres of land from the Right Honorable Edward at £4.0.0 a year.
310 Thomas McGeough is shown by the Tithe Applotment Books to have held land in the townland of Clerran in 1830.
McGeoughs, and McGeoghs in the Civil Parish of Clontibret
Updated January 19, 2008
Site Search & Directory »
© 1999–2008 Hugh McGough »